Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Welcome!

Dear readers:
Welcome to the blog of The Life You Save. This is your chance to ask me questions, make comments, and suggest your own lifesaving tips based on your experiences in the medical system.

I receive a lot of comments from knowledgeable people about the usefulness of my book. Here is one, from Dr. J. Anderson ("Andy") Thomson in Charlottesville, Virginia:

"I use your book daily. My practice has a lot of older folk with multiple medical problems or they have family whom they are the main medical advocate or one in a position of responsibility. Just this week a friend's father was to have major bladder surgery for a cancer that would require a new one made from intestine. She was very appreciative of the material I gave her about finding the surgeon, questioning him, dealing with her father in the hospital, etc. Much, much appreciate it."

That's what my book is all about: being helpful to patients and their caregivers.

So let me hear from you!

Patrick Malone




1 comment:

  1. I'm a nurse, and have been trying for over 9 months to manage my elderly mom's medical care from 750 miles away. I used phone calls to her and to her hospital & home health nurses, visits as frequently as i could, going with her to appts to meet her docs, and with TRYING to talk with her doctors -- who would not call me back for days. It has been so frustrating.

    I would find new things each hospitalization that they were not doing correctly (missing a med, not being aware of a significant diagnosis, not ordering or reading a test, not seeing her in a timely way, etc.)

    Finally, she has died 2 weeks ago as the result of a significant omission on someone's part -- whether her PCM's or her surgeon, i am not sure.

    I do not believe they meant to do this, but the communication, coordination of care, and committement were just too poor to be helpful.

    I tried all i knew to do, and still she suffered significant injury and death. Yet the malpractice lawyer we visited said we'd probably not win a case, and it would be protracted and costly, with multiple out-of- state appearances, and little likelihood of a major award.

    I wanted to bring her to live near me so that i could watch over her more closely, but that was not possible.

    I have now gone thru this same experience with my 2 dads, my gram, and my mom in the past 2.5 yrs.

    My next career is as a Patient Advocate. EVERY PATIENT NEEDS AN ADVOCATE!

    ReplyDelete